Whether your mother is loving or distant, caring or critical, this is a place to stop and reflect about the challenge of that maternal bond.
All daughters and mothers are welcome!



Sunday, September 18, 2011

Just Wondering...

If you were to write a book about your relationship with your Mother, what would you title it?

Really, what would it be called?  I'd like to know.

In my case, I've thought of titles like:  "Searching for Mother,"  "The Dutiful Daughter," and  "A Daughter's Final Gift."


Right now I'm reading a fascinating book by Patricia Beard (1999) entitled:  Good Daughters.
FYI, on page 18 she lists the goals of the "good daughter":

~ To help our mothers find meaning and comfort at the end of their lives.
~To have relationships with them that satisfy us both, and to engage with them as adults, with mutual respect.
~To love our mothers as uncritically as we did when we were children- or at least to be better than we have been lately at showing them that we love them.

What do you think about these? 
Any you would change or add?

God bless you and your mother.

3 comments:

  1. "Mother Daughter Tango" has been included in this weeks Sites To See. I hope this helps to attract many new visitors here.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2011/10/sites-to-see_14.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. I don't know what I would call my book... but I was such a witch to my mother growing up. I wish I could go back and redo the way I was. I was such a snotty teen ... I know she forgave all after I was grown up and had kids of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the goals of a good daughter! Knowing how critical I have been of my mother in the past haunts me as I wonder what my own grown kids are thinking/saying about ME? I think you should wait for the right title of your book Jessica. When it comes to you, you will KNOW it! Love you! And so glad you are doing this!! It will be so healing for you and hopefully an encouragement to many.

    ReplyDelete