Whether your mother is loving or distant, caring or critical, this is a place to stop and reflect about the challenge of that maternal bond.
All daughters and mothers are welcome!



Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Tale of Three Necklaces

Recently I read a quote that went something like this:
The most precious "jewelry" a woman can wear around her neck is her children's arms!

Though I'm not sure if I got the wording right, the sentiment found it's mark in my heart!
Those of you who follow Jewels For The Journey, know that I LOVE jewelry.
As an art major and admirer of all sparkly things, I'm fascinated by jewelry for it's design and bling.
Though I've cultivated this "hobby" for most of my life, I treasure my children and grandchildren even more!
Still, it's fun when my two "LOVES" intertwine, such as in the following:

My Grandma Esta gave me one of her necklaces soon after I was married.  When I wore it, I felt special and professional!  Then one day, while I was walking to the Ferry Terminal in Seattle to go home after work,  I yanked on my sweater and must have loosened the clasp.  Later on the boat, as I was changing into my sweats (I rode a moped from the terminal to our house)  I noticed that the necklace was MISSING.  Frantically, I searched all around the sitting area to no avail ...my heart was grieved.

The lesson GOD taught me as I trudged despondently up the ramp that evening in 1980, has stuck with me ever since.
HE whispered to my sad heart that what was really important to me could never be "lost."
Instantly I sensed that my relationships were far more valuable than treasured jewelry and they couldn't be lost or stolen, unless I was careless to give them up.
Then, just like a loving Father, HE saw to it that the necklace was returned to me the next day!
Even after we called the terminal and were told that nothing like that had been turned into the lost and found.
Thanking Gram for the gift
of such a sweet necklace and
Thanking GOD for such a valuable lesson.



This fun necklace is my very first Mother's Day Gift!  Created by my daughter when she was in pre-school, circa 1987.  It too was "lost"... as she hid it so well in her bedroom to surprise me that we didn't find it until 2 years later when we moved to another house! 
Thank You Katie for this precious, handmade jewel!

Finally, I acquired a charm necklace when my Mother died. 
In the '90s, she had it made with several charms from her travels.  I've given many of her original charms to her sisters and nieces, as I wanted to share her memories with those who miss her like I do.
But, now I've added charms of my own...a sorority pin, the "pin" from my husband's engineering school, a heart, a cross, a vagabond critter, an estribo and sombrero.  Wearable history and oh, so fun!
Thank You Mom for your inspiration. 
You are a glamorous Lady.

So, those are three necklaces that adorn my life,
 but truly the HUGS of my Grands
are the most precious of all!
~ Blessings ~

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post, friend. I'm not a big jewelry person, though I always wear earrings and my wedding rings and a watch. But I do admire jewelry on others who seem to wear it so much more naturally than I do. Lately I have been experimenting with some costume jewely though! I can only imagine how you felt after you "lost" your grandma's necklace, as I have worn my grandma's wedding ring on a chain around my neck, but I'm mostly afraid of losing such a priceless item. (She wore it on her finger from 1917 till 1993, never once taking it off!) But you are so right...it is the RELATIONSHIP we shared that makes the ring so special to me, and that is something that will never be "lost"...and the reminder of hers and grandpa's long and faithful marriage relationship.

    ReplyDelete