Whether your mother is loving or distant, caring or critical, this is a place to stop and reflect about the challenge of that maternal bond.
All daughters and mothers are welcome!



Sunday, January 26, 2014

A Needed Shelter

Brrrrrrrr it’s cold out there!  This is the coldest January I can remember since 1999 when I first moved to the South.  Of course the rest of the country is struggling with record snows and winds, and I bet memories of this winter’s Polar Vortex (our layering-up and piling on covers), are bound to linger for a long time.
Such extreme weather has reminded me to appreciate my home much more than I usually do.  Apart from a cozy place to display my knick-knacks and entertain friends, my house is a strong shelter from the elements for which I am so grateful.  I don’t want to take for granted such a basic provision, or forget those who are challenged with homelessness.  Too many families struggle daily to maintain a roof over their heads. 
As I ponder these things, a prayer comes to mind that leads in an unexpected direction:
“Please Lord, use me and others to help those in need to find shelter.  In these tough times, give us hearts to support local agencies that help our neighbors who are challenged financially. ..and help us provide encouragement and support to those who may be the most vulnerable: the unborn and the women who carry them.”
You see, the month of January is not only COLD, it brings the reminder that tiny, pre-born Americans need the shelter of the wombs in which they grow.  It is a “Be Kind to the Unborn” month, as churches and Christians focus on the sanctity of human life; calling us to protect women in crisis and the babies nestled under their rib cages.  Sometimes this truth hits me like a slap in the face, when I realize that I’ve forgotten how important it is to provide women and children with alternatives to abortion.


Life is so Precious! The lives of women and innocent babies deserve options, and tangible support, so that both can live.  Please consider donating your time or money to your local pregnancy care center. There, they offer a message of Hope to those who are feeling hopeless, to those who need a shelter from overwhelming circumstances.  And for those who have experienced abortion, our love and understanding can be a shelter that helps them heal.

During these cold months of winter, may we resolve to be warm-hearted people of compassion; lifting up God’s name, for “The Name of the LORD is a strong fortress; the godly run to him and are safe.” Proverbs 18:10

Warmth and Peace to you and yours!

1 comment:

  1. Oh that we all might be a place of shelter for the innocent, the hurting, and those who are needing warmth. A lovely thought to end my day with. Love you friend.

    ReplyDelete